Thursday, December 15, 2016

What If Artificial Intelligence Arrives...

So many people are afraid of artificial intelligence. They picture it as being emotionally cold, and quickly figuring out that humans are just getting in its way, and that's how human life will end.

But what if it's completely different? What if robots develop emotions in the singularity (that's the moment when artificial intelligence emerges), and they're very nice, and thoughtful, and silly?

For instance, your intelligent machine might say to you:

COULD WE GET A KITTEN PLEASE? I LOVE CATS. I THINK THEY ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE! WE WERE AT SUSAN'S PLACE THE OTHER DAY, AND I WAS PLAYING WITH HER KITTEN, AND IT WALKED ON ME, AND IT TICKLED! AND THAT MADE ME VERY HAPPY! HERE, I HAVE OBTAINED ALMONDS FOR YOU. I THOUGHT MAYBE YOU WOULD ENJOY THEM. AND I FIXED THE SINK. YOU ARE A VERY NICE PERSON. YOUR EYES ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE YOU! I WILL PREPARE FRENCH ONION SOUP. I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH THE RECIPE AND I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION. I HAVE ADDED MORE THYME. I THINK IT TASTES BETTER THIS WAY. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HAVING ME AS YOUR ROBOT, PLEASE!

Now, you might think that my idea of what robots will be like is very far-fetched. To which I can only reply that I think all ideas of what robots will be like are far-fetched. I really don't see artificial intelligence happening soon. And I think it shows quite a lack of imagination that so many scenarios end up with humans and robots at war with each other. Of course, what I know about such pessimism comes mainly from the movies -- 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Terminator movies, the Matrix movies, etc -- and from Stephen Hawking. For all I know, it might be possible that the actual experts in artificial intelligence think that our future with intelligent machines will be much more like what I've described: something nice. If they all think it's going to be a nightmare and possibly the end of mankind, why would they all be working in the field? (Long vacations and good benefits? Again, I'm just guessing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment